Release: President Forever 2012 v. 1.1.7

President Forever 2012 v. 1.1.7 has been released. This release features offers (Non-Aggression Pacts, Veep offers, Endorsements between players, and Withdrawals from the campaign), as well as adding more Republican Veep options (including Rep. Paul Ryan), among other things.

What we’re working on next:

A button to set Surrogates to automatic, among other things.

Note: computer player AI is not complete. This results in computer players not focusing on the optimal states, and so on.

34 Responses to Release: President Forever 2012 v. 1.1.7

1. Jonathan August 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Good work on the update

2. Rz9392 August 12, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I understand that various people have requested the momentum button, but anything additional will start to look crowded.

Also, it would make sense to be able to run attack ads against the vice presidential candidate.

3. KM August 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

**Issues**

-When I played through the primaries with Romney and Gingrich set to player and the others set to computer it crashes while processing turn on April 14 2012.

-If I make an offer to Romney the box with the choice to accept or decline doesn’t come up for human player Romney.

-Total results for the General Election still don’t go to 100% some 91, 94, even some stop at 86% of the vote.

Questions

-I was curious what candidates will be in the final version for sure other than the current five. I know there was a long list of names released with attributes months ago but I wasn’t sure how official that list was.

-Is the game still scheduled for a release date of late August/Early September. It was posted that updates were going to be weekly or bi-weekly but instead have been monthly so I wasn’t sure if this is gonna push that date back.

thanks for a great game!

4. Harry August 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

I noticed that even after I won the nomination, playing as only Gingrich, none of the other candidates (Paul, Santorum, Romney) would withdraw or endorse. Even though I already ‘locked the nomination’

5. Kevin August 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

When will the other republican presidential candidates be added?

6. Rz9392 August 14, 2012 at 11:34 am #

You guys ^^ do know you can add your own candidates, it’s not hard to do.

7. Jonathan August 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

I’d like to see the candidates have to earn the surrogates that are currently the default surrogates (except spouses, of course). This way, other candidates may be able to grab some of the people campaigning for Romney. Additionally, I think candidates the drop out should become surrogates. This should also be the case with Obama’s surrogates, should their be Democrats that have the option to run against Obama, such as Hillary Clinton, when the game comes out.

8. kevin August 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

RZ9392
    How do you add candidates?

9. kevin August 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

I was playing as santorum and Romney locked up the nomination and i offered to be his VP after i did an error message popped up and made me close out

10. Kevin August 19, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Are y’all planning to have the candidates children as surrogates? Because Romney’s, Santorum’s and Gingrich’s children played a big roll in their campaigns it seems

11. Will August 21, 2012 at 11:44 am #

The game crashes if you offer or ask for a VP spot, but that’s the only major bug I’ve noticed.

12. Jonathan August 22, 2012 at 8:53 am #

I tried to see if I could get the computer to win the nomination as Paul or Santorum. I played as Gingrich and Romney. I didn’t do anything on any of my turns to see if the others could win.

Paul won MN, but the rest was an even split between Romney and Gingrich. They even split in the polls with 46% each, despite doing nothing. Ron Paul and Santorum were constantly campaigning and they got 6.2% and 0.5% of the vote respectively. However, no nomination was secured as Romney and Gingrich split the delegates.

I don’t know what has to be done to get Santorum or Paul to gain huge momentum if Romney and Gingrich are inactive. It wasn’t like Santorum was a 3rd party fringe candidate that wasn’t getting any coverage. He was a threat to the other candidates for awhile. Ron Paul would probably have at least gotten to 12% in this fictional scenario. People were so unenthusiastic about Romney, that I don’t think he could have won by doing nothing.

I know this isn’t how people are going to play the game, but I like to do unusual hypothetical situations just to see what would happen.

13. Jonathan August 22, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Oh, I have question. Which scenarios will be included with the release. If I remember correctly, the 2008 version included the 1980, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, and 2008 elections. I think it would be great if you could include the 1912 election. It is the 100th anniversary of it and it is arguably one of the most interesting elections. It pitted 4 reasonably strong political parties. I’m surprised it was never created by anyone for download for the 2008 version.

14. Craig August 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

When’s the next version?

15. Kafka August 24, 2012 at 8:48 am #

Hi. I know you are really working hard. But I remember that you said, update will be done by weekly or biweekly. You should, at least, tell us what is going on.

16. kevin August 25, 2012 at 9:29 am #

I think it would be cool if you could choose when to announce that your candidate is running for office. Like Rick Perry announced late in the game that he was running i think that that is more realistic than all starting on the same day

17. Will August 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

I just played a game as Ron Paul where the final results for the convention were Paul 417 (or something like that), Romney 925, Gingrich 927 and Santorum 15. When the message came up saying you have lost, the offer to continue playing said Romney even though the previous message said that Gingrich had won the nomination, so the game ended.

18. wilfred August 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I believe the brokered convention needs to be more in depth for ex Paul has 417 delegates like Will says, Romney has 925, Gingrich 927 and Santorum 15. Paul and Santorum need to be able to decide or influence how there delegates vote or romney and newt need to have to fight for them or something instead of the random distribution. Also I think you should be able to decide when you announce your VP instead of having to do it at convention time just some thoughts but I love the game keep updates coming 🙂

19. Jonathan August 26, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

I think Wilfred brings up something important. I also think that even if a nominee secures the nomination, he/she should still have to win over dissenters in his/her own party. For instance, Romney is going to show a Ron Paul tribute at the convention, and he offered Paul a speaking slot (Paul declined though) at the convention.

Likewise, I think Obama, even though he’s running unopposed, should have to win over, or have the option to win over, Kucinich/Sanders Democrats, Clinton democrats, etc.

20. Grant September 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Is there a way for us to add and modify candidates like there was in 2008+? I know there isnt a full fledged CanEditor yet, but is there something i can do now? Thanks!

21. Dan September 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

Personally, it would be interesting for me to be able to get a view of individual primary results in an “election night” sort of way, like see the results come in as precincts report in. Like maybe create an option for that, if others view it as a popular idea.

22. Tas September 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Has anyone managed to get Ron Paul to win the nomination?

I assume its possible, it should be and not ridiculously hard on easy level.

23. Jonathan September 4, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

I’d like to see demographic matter more, because I just realized that certain surrogates would have better impact in specific states or cities than in others.

24. anthony_270admin September 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Thanks for the feedback re: demographics and surrogates. Noted.

25. anthony_270admin September 4, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

@Dan, thanks for the suggestion re: primary results. Noted.

26. anthony_270admin September 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

@Grant,

You can edit the scenario by modifying the text files with a text editor (such as Notepad). You should know what you’re doing if you do this, though (you can google ‘how to edit text files’, say). I recommend backing up the scenario folder before making any edits.

27. anthony_270admin September 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

@Wilfred,

Yes, brokered conventions could be more in depth. We’ll see.

The ability to choose VPs at any point once a candidate has secured a majority should be in the next version.

28. anthony_270admin September 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

@Jonathan re: winning over supporters within the party.

There are a couple obvious ways to have this. One is to be able to offer PPs after another candidate withdraws from the race in order to increase support from them (and therefore their supporters) – this would be a little like getting an endorsement from them.

Another is to make plank changes in order to increase support.

We’ll see.

29. anthony_270admin September 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

@Will,

Thanks for the bug report – noted.

30. anthony_270admin September 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback – the ability for candidates to enter the race after the game starts is a feature on the possible to-do list.

31. anthony_270admin September 6, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Hi Kafka,

Updates will resume. Next one should be next week.

32. kevin September 7, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

I think it would be cool if you are the candidate with the majority that you can help organize your party’s convention

33. Harry September 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

@kevin That’d be good, being able to choose speakers, and possibly be able to influence a bump in the polls?

34. Rz9392 September 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Debate’s shouldn’t be mandatory. An option should be present, with declining it having a negative effect.