Release: President Forever 2016 v. 1.3.8

President Forever 2016 v. 1.3.8 has been released. It adds more candidates to the 2016 scenario, a complete candidate editor, and more.

Note: if you are a President Forever 2012 owner, you are eligible for this upgrade.

Note: this version changes the folder for user-designed scenarios from v. 1.3.6. If you already have a user-designed scenario you want to migrate to this version, you will have to move it from its current folder to the new user scenarios folder. To find the current scenario, before installing this version open President Forever 2016, go to the candidate editor, and create a new scenario. Note down the scenario path. Then install the new version, and create a new scenario. Note the new path. Using your file explorer, go to the old path (minus the scenario folder name), and copy the scenario folder. Then go to the new path (minus the scenario folder name), and paste the scenario folder. This should add the scenario to the new scenario list.

26 Responses to Release: President Forever 2016 v. 1.3.8

1. Jonathan March 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

Excellent update!
    One thing I noticed is that Castro doesn’t even have double-digits in his own state. I’d assume all the candidates would be strong in their own states. I didn’t check the other candidates.

2. Dallas March 28, 2013 at 10:55 pm #

Will more important events be added? For example: the Ames Straw Poll, and CPAC.

3. Josh March 29, 2013 at 1:55 am #

I concur with Jonathan, this is an excellent update.

For potential endorsers, have you considered adding “Progressive Talk Radio” and “Conservative Talk Radio?” I would have them endorse during the primary season, preferably before Super Tuesday. I would also add George Soros and the Koch brothers as primary season endorsers, giving large cash donations to the candidate they support. Mayor Bloomberg should also be a potential endorsement. Mitt Romney could also be an endorsement/surrogate?

I think Rahm Emanuel should be added as a Democratic candidate, but I would have him default to off. Benjamin Carson should be a potential Republican candidate, too. Again, have him default to off. I think adding Mike Huckabee and Condoleezza Rice as Republican candidates would be cool too.

Those are all the suggestions I have for now.

4. anthony_270admin March 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Castro’s %s are set higher in Texas than his other ones. It’s set to 10% in the editor, which will typically translate to < 10% when starting a game (depending on which other candidates are turned on or off).

5. anthony_270admin March 29, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

@Dallas,

Thanks for those ideas – I’ve added them to the list.

6. anthony_270admin March 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

@Josh,

Thanks for these suggestions – I like the idea of having ‘Conservative Talk Radio’ or ‘Progressive Talk Radio’ as endorsers in the primaries. Alternately, it could be a little more fine-grained, as sometimes there are splits between hosts. All noted.

7. Josh March 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

That sounds great. I was unsure how to model the homogeneity of talk show hosts, so I figured that dividing the camps in two and combining them into conglomerates would work best. In any case, I would make sure that Rush Limbaugh, or whomever the most popular conservative talk show host is, and his left-wing equivalent give the most momentum out of all hosts.

Also, is there a chance that we could see some negative endorsements? Republicans back in 2008 attempted to distance themselves from President Bush, and to a lesser extent, did the same in 2012 as well. If at all possible, I would add him as an endorser and have him give negative momentum – if you think most Americans will still have ill will directed at him, that is.

I also thought of two other endorsement possibilities: the Chamber of Commerce and AARP. AARP could mass mobilize the elderly and others concerned about Social Security, whereas the Chamber of Commerce would be more concerned about Tax Rates and mobilize business leaders.

Getting more into the realm of primary season endorsers, one could probably add the Progressive Caucus for Democrats and the Tea Party for Republicans.

If I can help you in any way, let me know.

8. kevin March 29, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Are y’all still considering the possibility that you can choose when to enter the race?

9. Dallas March 29, 2013 at 11:01 pm #

Is their a chance of adding counties? and Perhaps add Michele Bachmann, Nikki Haley, and Susana Martinez to the 2016 scenario?

10. anthony_270admin March 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

@Josh,

All good ideas again – noted.

For negative momentum … Yes, it’s possible to implement, and wouldn’t be too difficult. I’m just not sure whether negative endorsements really happen that often in politics (except from fringe endorsers).

IIRC, Bush didn’t endorse anyone in the primaries in 2008 or 2012. The 2012 endorsement came in May, after the primaries had been decided. It seemed to be a non-event at that point.

When negative endorsements happen, they typically are beneficial with a key sub-group, and that perhaps could be useful (+1 in state x, but -1 in state y, and so on).

I’ll think about this.

11. anthony_270admin March 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

@Kevin,

Yes, the ability to enter the race at a later point is still on the possible to-do list.

@Dallas,

Thanks for these suggestions – noted.

For counties, I don’t expect them to be added.

12. kevin March 30, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

If not added to this game, can county maps of states be made and placed somewhere easily accessible for creation of state races on this platform? The reason for my request of this is because every map I made for campaigns forever did not work it wasn’t the right color background or county outline so they multiple counties were combined as two counties.

13. Dallas March 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

In the 2016 scenario, could more third parties be implemented? and Maybe add the Green Party, Constitution Party, Libertarian Party, and Independent Party as the third parties?

14. Jonathan March 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

Yes, I’d really like a 3rd party in 2016, primarily so I can set both the major parties on computer and see how the computer plays them out.

Any estimate when the next update will be out? I’m having fun with this latest update.

15. kevin April 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

is there a way to bump the issue of gun control up to high in 2016 because i have a feeling it will big debate in ’16

16. anthony_270admin April 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

@Kevin,

We’ll see with Gun Control as we get closer to 2016.

17. anthony_270admin April 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

@Kevin re: county maps,

If you want county maps that work in the game for custom scenarios, maybe ask if someone can troubleshoot a map for you in forum ( http://270soft.ipbhost.com ).

18. anthony_270admin April 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

^ in the Scenario Creation forum.

19. anthony_270admin April 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

v. 1.3.9 Test Release 1 probably end of this week.

20. anthony_270admin April 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

@Dallas,

Yes – first, the editor will be expanded until new parties can be edited and added. At some point after that, I’ll start adding third parties.

21. Dallas April 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Do you expect the feature to hold mega-rallies with governors/senators to be implemented?

22. Dallas April 1, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

When I checkmark the sound option in the settings, a message appears with ” error writing to file”. I can listen to the sound during that session, but when I start another session, I have to checkmark the sound option again. Is this common?

23. Dallas April 2, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

How can I convert the jpg file to a bmp file for the picture on the candidate editor?

24. Dallas April 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Never mind my last reply.

25. anthony_270admin April 4, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

@Dallas re: error writing to file,

I’ll check into this. It means that, for some reason, the options file isn’t being saved.

26. anthony_270admin April 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm #