Release: President Forever 2016 v. 1.4.0

President Forever 2016 v. 1.4.0 has been released. For the 2016 scenario, it increases the strength of Rand Paul to reflect recent polling trends, adds Sen. Tim Kaine, Gov. Susan Martinez, Gov. Mike Huckabee, Gov. Jon Huntsman, Sen. Rick Santorum, and Gov. Sarah Palin as possible candidates, adds several endorsers, and adds several possible vice-leaders. It moves the candidate editor towards a scenario editor by adding Vice-Leader and Endorser Screens and initial Party and Issues screens, fixes several bugs, and more.

Note: if you are a President Forever 2012 owner, you are eligible for this upgrade.

We’re also now on Facebook and Twitter!

34 Responses to Release: President Forever 2016 v. 1.4.0

1. Dallas May 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

One feature I would like to see added is a re-election feature.

2. Jake May 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

Re-election feature?

3. Jake May 24, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Ryan, Santorum, and Palin are all the same color orange. Huckabee and McDonnell are slightly different blues, but can get confused. Warner, Kaine, and Castro are all light blue.
    Give them different color schemes.

4. SANC May 25, 2013 at 10:50 am #

I think he means a recount feature.

5. Dallas May 25, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

No, I mean a re-election feature. For example, lets say Michele Bachmann was elected in the 2012 scenario. A few events pass, such as lowered taxes, balanced budget, etc. Then when you play the 2016 scenario, Instead of a double set of contesters, you could play as Michele Bachmann for re-election or one of the possible democrat contenders.

6. Jonathan May 25, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

I mentioned that awhile back. I went as far as wanting to start in the first presidential election and play them all out in order, and see how history changes.

7. Dallas May 26, 2013 at 7:15 am #

@Jonathan: I think it is a great idea.

8. Jonathan May 26, 2013 at 9:03 am #

@Anthony

When is the next update before you start on Australia?

9. Jonathan May 26, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Also thinking that all the congress people, except maybe the centrists and more ideological congress people, should probably automatically endorse at the convention. This should be the same with the presidents and other surrogates. The newspapers and organizations would probably endorse automatically before the election as well, if they don’t already.

10. anthony_270admin May 27, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Probably have weekly Test Releases for a few weeks, then a new official release. Then switch to Australia.

11. Dallas May 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

@Anthony: will there be a multiplayer feature?

12. Tayya May 28, 2013 at 10:02 am #

Editor feedback:

It didn’t like me removing ballot access from Nader.

13. Tayya May 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

Also, editor doesn’t recognize “-1” as valid start or end date for endorsers.
    In addition, it doesn’t allow surrogates to be set to have no power for any value.

14. Jonah May 29, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

A few things:

1. Schweitzer is portrayed as being waaaaaaay too liberal. I think he’s left on every single issue. Schweitzer was, in fact, known for being a moderate democrat in a red state.

A few changes to exsisting positions:

Immigration-CL
    Military Intervention-CL
    Role of Government-CL
    Tax Rates-CL
    Defense Spending-CL
    Iran-CL
    Same Sex Marriage-CL
    Education-CL
    War on Terror-CL
    Gun Control-CR

2. All the primary dates are off. Most states have their primaries on Sundays during the 2016 scenario, with Super Tuesday falling on a Sunday as well. It’s not a big deal, but it helps make the game feel more realistic.

15. anthony_270admin May 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

@Tayya

Re: Nader on ballot,

Thanks for this feedback – noted. It might be because Nader is the only candidate in the party .. are you modding a third party where he’s the only leader on the primary ballot in that region?

Re: -1 as start or end date,

-1 shouldn’t be a valid date. Are you saying you edit the XML files with -1 as a start or end date, and then the editor doesn’t work properly?

Re: surrogates having no power,

Minimum values for surrogates in any area is 1. Max. is 5.

16. anthony_270admin May 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

@Dallas re: multiplayer,

You mean online multiplayer? It isn’t planned currently – it might happen.

17. Tayya May 29, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Re: Nader – yes, that is the case. I used the Libertarian Party of 2012 as a base, which you might have guessed.

Re: -1 – well, some of the endorsers of the 270soft PF2012 scenario have -1 as their start/end date. AFL-CIO is one example, as are a couple of the newspapers.

Re: Surrogates – It might just be the editor making some endorsers appear without a preset value.

18. anthony_270admin May 29, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Got it – thanks for this feedback. These things should be fixed in the next update.

19. anthony_270admin May 29, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

@Jonah,

Thanks for this – Schweitzer platform updated in latest internal.

For primary dates, the problem is that we don’t know what those dates will be. Instead of trying to guess, my sense is to wait until legislatures start setting real dates. Feedback welcome on this, though.

20. Dallas May 29, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

This is an amazing product. I think it will do well if sold at Wal-Mart, GameStop, etc..
    Once Nikki Haley is added, I plan to do a Martinez/Haley ticket. I am very excited for what is yet to come.

21. Aaron Booth May 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I’m getting that out of system resources error again that freezes up the game

22. anthony_270admin May 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

@Dallas, thanks for this! Nikki Haley is on the list … probably added soon.

23. anthony_270admin May 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

@Jake re: colors,

Thanks for this – I’ll look at those. As the number of candidates increases, it starts getting more and more difficult to find different color schemes for each one that is unique and works for contrast. The solution to this might be to implement a dynamic color system, we’ll see …

24. Jake May 31, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

None of the Senators who voted for gun control this year should be CR on it.
    This means Warner, Kaine, and maybe a few others who are playable should have their positions changed.
    Though if we added for instance Heitkamp of ND (I think it’s possible), she’d have a plausible stake to it.

25. Jake May 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Haley should be 15-20% in South Carolina, 10-15% in other parts of the deep south, and 1-2% nationwide.

26. Jonathan May 31, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

I’d probably put her 10% in the deep south at the most. I think Rubio, Christie, Ryan, etc. still carry so much national weight right now that a lot of strong candidates don’t get much above 10%.

27. Dallas May 31, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

Every time I try to start a user-created scenario, a error pops up with ” Access Violation at address ….. in module … When I tried to start this scenario in Congress Forever 2012 ( 2014 Arizona Special Election) the error mentioned above always pops up. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

28. asanak June 3, 2013 at 2:58 am #

Yeah I had the same problem as Dallas, my user-created scenario won’t start either. How can I fix this?

29. anthony_270admin June 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

@Dallas and Asanak,

To clarify, are these errors happening in President Forever 2016 for scenarios created with the President Forever 2016 editor?

If so, the way for us to figure out what is happening is for you for zip up (compress) the user-created scenario that is causing the problem, and then e-mail is to us ( http://270soft.com/contact ).

I can then look at it, and fairly quickly figure out what is causing the problem.

30. Dallas June 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

@Anthony theses scenarios are not created by the President Forever 2016 editor. The scenarios are created by members who use the product to create scenarios. One of the scenarios are the 2014 Arizona Special Election under the Senatorial section. I copied the file after I opened it, then pasted the file under the scenario file on Congress Forever 2012.

31. anthony_270admin June 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

@Dallas,

Ok, this is the scenario posted at scenarios.270soft.com ( http://scenarios.270soft.com/2012/04/09/arizona-senatorial-2014-special-election/ )?

That scenario is posted under President Forever 2008 + Primaries, so it wouldn’t work with Congress Forever. I’ll add the President Forever 2008 label to it, to make that more obvious.

32. asanak June 4, 2013 at 2:46 am #

@Anthony

The scenario I am having problems with was made with the President Forever 2016 Candidate Editor. When the “creating game” box comes up an error message appears over it, reading:

Access violation at address 00422C1B in module ‘p4e16.exe’. Write of address 00000048.

Is this enough info to sort out the issue?

Thanks

33. anthony_270admin June 4, 2013 at 2:51 am #

@Asanak,

No, that is a generic error message.

If you want me to look at the scenario and determine the source of the problem, zip up (compress) the scenario that is causing the problem, and then e-mail it ( http://270soft.com/contact ).

34. anthony_270admin June 4, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

@Jake re: Warner and Kaine on gun control,

Thanks for this – do you have a link to a news article or summary of the bill and their votes?