Mac President Forever 2016 – Version Amundsen – Test Release – 1.6.4

p4e16_amundsen_tr_164_500x

Our very first Mac for President Forever 2016 Test Release has been released!

Note: this is a Test Release. There are known problems (described below). If you encounter another problem, please let us know and we will add it to the list.

How to install:

If you are a Kickstarter backer with a Mac P4E16 reward, you should have received an e-mail notifying you the Test Release is available. If not, you can contact us. Alternately, you can go here.

You can then go to the web-site, and request a download e-mail.

Download the p4e16.app.dmg file through the link in the download e-mail.

You may get a warning when downloading or installing the game. This is because we are waiting for certification from Apple, which takes a couple weeks.

Run it, which will create a new virtual drive on your desktop.

Open the drive (if it doesn’t automatically open), and move the ‘p4e16’ app file to your Applications folder.

You can then move the dmg file to the trash if desired.

Requirements:

OS X 10.7 Lion or higher.

A few things that haven’t been implemented yet:

• Some of the graphics are still being fine-tuned.
  • Mac functionality to close a window instead of quit an application from the main window.
  • Sounds are not complete.
  • Inline Help system is not complete.
  • Help file is not complete.
  • Campaign Editor is not activated.
  • Images have pixelation on Retina displays.
  • DMG file will be made more intuitive for install.

Things fixed or changed for the forthcoming version:

• Can now modify issue positions for all issues, not just the first one

Currently, the Mac version is available only to Kickstarter backers with that reward. We’ll be opening it up once we’ve moved to an official release, including ordering directly from the 270soft site and also from the App Store.

There are bound to be some bumps and hiccups in the roll-out, I’ll do my best to remedy these as I become aware of them.

What you can expect next:

• Continued work with subsequent Test Releases for Mac, addressing the issues above and more.
  • For Windows users, a Test Release for Windows fairly soon.
  • Implementation of remaining rewards from the Kickstarter campaign, which will be fully implemented for the first official release.

Thanks everyone for your support! I’m excited to move forward with our first cross-platform app!

18 Responses to Mac President Forever 2016 – Version Amundsen – Test Release – 1.6.4

1. Erik June 9, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

When can we purchase the mac release (for non kickstarted backers)?

2. anthony_270admin June 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

@Erik,

From the 270soft site, probably within a week.

From the App Store, probably a few weeks.

3. David June 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

Just wondering if there’s any update on Congress 2014? Have it pre-ordered and haven’t got any word since then.

4. Terrayne June 10, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

I’m a Kickstarter backer and the version that I downloaded won’t actually open gameplay. It will allow me to set up the game, but then I am unable to start playing. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

5. anthony_270admin June 11, 2014 at 5:58 am #

@David,

Thank you for this question – it will happen after the first Mac P4E16 official release. I can’t say exactly when, but the goal is mid-2014.

6. anthony_270admin June 11, 2014 at 5:59 am #

@Terrayne,

Do you get an error at a specific point? Also, if so is there a message associated with the error?

7. Terrayne June 11, 2014 at 8:48 am #

No message is given. The game allows me to pick the candidates and settings of that nature, then it gives me the welcome to the election screen. When I click ok, nothing happens. No game comes up.

8. SG June 11, 2014 at 8:51 am #

Hey, been fiddling around in the beta, been quite a few years since I played PE08 on Windows. It’s good to have something there, but yeah, not hugely playable at the moment (especially because I can’t quite remember how it all works).
    I’d just like to point out one big bug (the major one for me). I can’t edit a candidate’s platform. I’m only able to change a candidate’s position on the first issue listed on each page in the ‘[Candidate Name]’s Platform’ pop-up. If tried it with all scenarios, all different candidates, and both ways of ordering the policy position list in the Platform pop-up.
    Keep up the good work,
    Cheers,
    SG

9. Terrayne June 18, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Any word on the problem I’m having? Or an updated release?

10. anthony_270admin June 18, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

@Terrayne,

I have added this to the list of things to look at. It might be system specific, but will attempt to recreate this. Thanks for this feedback.

11. anthony_270admin June 18, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

@SG,

Thanks for this – added to the list.

12. Elijah June 18, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

When will we be able to purchase this?

13. anthony_270admin June 19, 2014 at 9:45 am #

@Elijah, It should be soon – another test version will be released first, fixing certain bugs.

14. JustinCEO June 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Hi Anthony,
    I’m having the same issue reported by Terrayne. Except that, for some reason, yesterday night, the game did open up and start playing normally, but then crashed after a number of turns, and now it’s back to simply letting me pick candidate etc. and then not doing anything after the Welcome to Election turn summary. The app doesn’t appear to actually crash as it appears to still be “open” but there don’t appear to be any visible windows associated with it.

I’m running 10.9.3 on a 2011 MacBook Pro.

15. JustinCEO June 24, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

I used “Show Package Contents” on the app and navigated to Contents/MacOS/ and launched from p4e16. I got the following terminal output in the course of firing the game up and trying to start a campaign. Hope it’s helpful:

2014-06-24 21:02:51.760 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    2014-06-24 21:02:51.761 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Set a breakpoint on CTFontLogSuboptimalRequest to debug.
    2014-06-24 21:02:51.788 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    2014-06-24 21:02:51.810 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    2014-06-24 21:02:51.830 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    2014-06-24 21:03:09.789 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    2014-06-24 21:03:09.790 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.
    2014-06-24 21:03:09.848 p4e16[1606:507] CoreText performance note: Client called CTFontCreateWithName() using name “Arial” and got font with PostScript name “ArialMT”. For best performance, only use PostScript names when calling this API.

16. Graham June 27, 2014 at 9:07 am #

When is campaign editor going to be activated?

17. anthony_270admin June 27, 2014 at 10:40 am #

@Justin,

Thanks for that feedback – noted.

18. anthony_270admin June 27, 2014 at 10:45 am #

@Graham,

Once the rest of the game is working properly, the next step will be to activate the Campaign Editor.