Mac President Infinity – Version Amundsen – 1.6.5

(Note: President Forever 2016 has been renamed to President Infinity.)

The second Mac version of President Infinity has been released!

This version contains a large number of changes and fixes, mostly to the user interface.

Note: this is a Test Release. There are known problems (described below). If you encounter another problem, please let us know and we will add it to the list.

How to install:

If you are a Kickstarter backer with a Mac P4E16 reward, shortly you will receive an e-mail notifying you the Test Release is available. If not, you can contact us. Alternately, you can go here.

You can then go to the web-site, and request a download e-mail.

Download the PresidentInfinity_v165.app.dmg file through the President Infinity link in the download e-mail.

You may get a warning when downloading or installing the game. This is because we haven’t received certification from Apple yet. We plan to do this soon, but in the meantime you might get a message such as the above.

Run it, which will create a new virtual drive on your desktop.

Open the drive (if it doesn’t automatically open), and move the ‘President Infinity′ app file to your Applications folder.

(You can also move the previous President Forever 2016 file from the Applications folder to the trash.)

You can then move the dmg file to the trash if desired.

Requirements:

OS X 10.7 Lion or higher.

A few things that haven’t been implemented yet:

• Mac functionality to close a window instead of quit an application from the main window.
  • Sounds are not complete.
  • Help file is not complete.
  • Campaign Editor is not activated.
  • Images have pixelation on Retina displays.
  • DMG file will be made more intuitive for install.
  • Saving might cause an out of memory error on some systems.
  • If anyone is able to repeatedly open instances of a window (so multiple instances of the same window are showing at the same time), please let me know.

Currently, the Mac version is available only to Kickstarter backers with that reward. We’ll be opening it up once we’ve moved to an official release, including ordering directly from the 270soft site and also from the App Store.

What you can expect next:

• Fixing of any remaining bugs for the Mac version as they are reported to us.
  • For Windows users, a Test Release for Windows fairly soon.
  • Implementation of remaining rewards from the Kickstarter campaign, which will be fully implemented for the first official release.

Thanks everyone for your support! I’m excited to move forward with our first cross-platform app!

28 Responses to Mac President Infinity – Version Amundsen – 1.6.5

1. JustinCEO August 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Hi there,

This version actually boots up so that’s better luck than I had before heh.

So I started a 2016 campaign as Ted Cruz with default settings except for Hard.

I got fairly far into it (Nov 16 2015) and then, after trying to click on the endorsers button, I got an “Out of Memory” error and the game went non-responsive (wouldn’t let me save or anything :/)

I’m running 10.9.4 on a MacBook Pro. I have 8GB of RAM and there didn’t seem to be any apps (including P4I) with an obvious memory leak when I checked Activity Monitor so I’m not sure what happened.

2. JustinCEO August 2, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

Also gameplay balance wise it’s rather easy to win even tho one is not actively campaigning anywhere. I follow a pretty simple routine which is like:

1. max out Debating and Issue Familiarity early (and maintain them)
    2. run one big nationwide max production budget TV ad for as long as starting money will allow (and maybe a couple of targeted ads at NH and Iowa)
    3. pour tons of CPs into getting nationwide endorsers, and top off a 5 star one with nice bonuses using PIPs as early as possible (like Heritage Foundation for GOP, or whatever the Dem equivalent is).
    4. do policy speeches
    5. accept all media invites
    6. max spin the hell out of every a) successful debate for your guy, b) successful policy speech or media invite for your guy, c) any negative stuff for your main opponents

I also mess around with surrogates and spies sometimes but I don’t think those are primary to success.

Anyways with this strategy Cruz was well on way to winning primary despite pretty much chilling in texas the whole time.

I don’t think that’s how it’s supposed to work. I think the “Not on Campaign Trail” event is supposed to penalize such behavior but it doesn’t seem to make much difference, and I don’t think dialing that up to be like a huge penalty would be a good solution cuz it’d be rather artificial.

Anyways just FYI.

3. JustinCEO August 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

Oh and @ gameplay post, I also max spin away any negative events for my guy of course.

4. JustinCEO August 3, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

Hi again,

Tried starting up another game, just a few turns in got the following message:

Access violation at address 0015B8CA, accessing address 00AE734C.

Game locked up.

5. anthony_270admin August 4, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

@JustinCEO,

Thank you for this feedback – it’s noted. I will try to recreate the errors you’ve noted here.

6. Kevin August 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Any updated timeframe on when the official release for Mac will be?

7. anthony_270admin August 12, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

@Kevin,

No updated timeframe at this point.

8. anthony_270admin August 12, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Error reported on autosave reload.

9. David August 14, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

Any update on RD or Congress 2014, long time since ‘Spring’ is all

10. anthony_270admin August 15, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

RD?

Congress Forever is now looking at an autumn release. It has been delayed due to the Mac version of P4E16 taking significantly longer than anticipated.

11. Mike August 24, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

When I play Hillary Clinton in the primaries, I cannot run ads against other Democrats, only Republicans.

12. anthony_270admin August 26, 2014 at 4:04 pm #

@Mike,

Can you say more about this (for example, do you not see them in the list of possible opponents to select, and so on)?

13. Mike September 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

Hello. This version is a lot better. When you create foot soldiers, create ads or create surrogates sometimes, the entire game freezes and you have to force quit it.

14. Mike September 3, 2014 at 7:16 pm #

Anthony, I can now run ads against Republicans. I’m not sure why I couldn’t before. But I will say the arrows don’t work on the sides for me so I have to click on a name and scroll down with my keyboard arrow.

Also, the game randomly freezes as I noted above both in the primaries and general election. When I got to perform activities sometimes like create foot soldiers per state, it just freezes and I have to force quit the app..

15. anthony_270admin September 4, 2014 at 12:35 pm #

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this feedback – hopefully, with the next release all or most of these problems will be resolved.

16. Mike September 6, 2014 at 11:02 am #

Thanks. One more thing, halfway through almost every type of campaign I run I get “out of memory” and it crashes.

17. anthony_270admin September 6, 2014 at 11:10 am #

Thanks again for this feedback – noted.

18. Mike September 8, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

One more thing, Anthony..I’m running 10.9.4 iOS with a brand new MacBook Pro and I haven’t been able to finish a campaign whether it be the primaries or the general election because it always randomly crashes or i get the out of memory.. I figured I would tell you the HW/SW I’m using as well if that might assist you.

19. anthony_270admin September 8, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this – a new Mac version is currently being worked on, info here http://270soft.com/2014/09/08/upcoming-mac-president-infinity-v-amundsen-test-release-v-1-6-9/ . When it is released, hopefully it will fix these problems.

20. Mike September 15, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

Hi Anthony,

So I downloaded the most recent beta version and I still cannot make it all the way through the campaign. I played two general election campaigns and one primary. The first time I just froze up and it crashed. The second time I got an access violation error. The third time the entire screen turned into crooked lines and the game crashed.

21. anthony_270admin September 15, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

@Mike,

Thanks for this feedback – I will attempt to recreate these errors. If you notice a specific place or time when it freezes, this would be very useful.

22. Mike September 15, 2014 at 6:31 pm #

It usually happens between Oct 1 and 15

23. anthony_270admin September 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm #

Ok, thanks for this info.

24. Mike September 15, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

So I just tried to play Mayor Bloomberg vs. Hillary Clinton vs. Paul Ryan and on September 22nd while I tried to make a policy speech against Paul Ryan I got an “out of memory” error.

25. Mike September 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm #

In the Primaries, Monday November 9th, Hillary Clinton — I did fundraising and then debate prep and executed the transaction and the screen froze and I had to force quit the program.

26. Mike September 15, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

I had been saving my progress in the primaries for playing Hillary Clinton. Periodically it would crash and I could save the game but now the file won’t load. It says “List Index out of bounds”

27. Mike October 18, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

1.7.1 works MUCH better 🙂

28. anthony_270admin October 18, 2014 at 2:17 pm #

Good to hear Mike – thanks for this feedback.