President Infinity next release sneak-peek, Windows and Mac

Feedback is welcome! I am especially interested in fixing any bugs, especially for the Mac version.

Major features since previous official release:

• direct popular vote feature (game engine can now do gubernatorial, senatorial, mayoral, referenda, and so on, elections –  more info here)
  • Main Screen > can view popular vote totals
  • added United States – 2004 – Beta campaign
  • large number of updates to the Editor
  • can import user-designed campaigns with a click
  • independent candidates no longer required to have primaries

If direct popular vote is selected for a campaign in the Editor, computer player strategy is not updated (computer players still think regions are winner-take-all).

You can download it here for Windows, here for Mac.

Again, feedback welcome!

Features since the previous official version here.

Features list since the previous sneak-peek:

• Main Screen > momentum viewing mode > no longer shows ‘MMT’ after given momentum number
  • if non-aggression pact, news story
  • if non-aggression pact, popup notifying, if not message added to alerts section of notes
  • Editor > Leaders > significantly sped up
  • Non-aggression pacts now show on Player Info Screen, include turns left in pact
  • Editor > Leaders > Home > can now search for region
  • Editor > Leaders > Surrogates > Home > can now search for region
  • Editor > Leaders > Surrogates > Barnstorming Bonuses > can now search for region
  • Editor > Leaders > new > fixed bug > removed “Add new leader as potential vice-leader?”
  • Editor > Regions > Parties > added listbox that summarizes relevant general election info
  • Editor > Regions > Parties > can click on party in listbox to go to that party
  • Main Screen > fixed bug where couldn’t spacebar to click Done button after a turn
  • Editor > Events > Outcomes > fixed bug if changed from attribute issue to position issue, where wouldn’t update to relevant effect values for new issue type
  • Editor > Issues > can see all issue position descriptions at once, can click on any one to select
  • Editor > Issues > issue lists now sorted alphabetically
  • fixes save-load bug?

78 Responses to President Infinity next release sneak-peek, Windows and Mac

1. Nick June 5, 2017 at 4:21 pm #

Why is the two round vote feature not enabled?

2. Christopher Jacobs June 5, 2017 at 4:35 pm #

I see the popular vote but I don’t see where the option is to make it only popular vote and not electoral vote? Also is the bug fixed where when you do 7 days a week in one turn, it’s impossible to lose for some reason and too easy, even when setting it to hard. Which makes the game very boring.

3. republicaninnyc June 5, 2017 at 5:10 pm #

the two-round option is unavailable in the editor.

4. anthony_270admin June 5, 2017 at 5:51 pm #

@RepInNYC,

Thanks for this – I’ve removed the text stating it’s available. It doesn’t do anything at this point, but will be added again once the feature is enabled.

5. anthony_270admin June 5, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

@Christopher Jacobs,

The option is in the Campaign Editor. Editor > Regions.

6. Christopher Jacobs June 5, 2017 at 8:05 pm #

Okay but what about the 7 days per turn bug? Or is it a bug? It seems like it makes it too easy.

7. missouriresident June 5, 2017 at 8:16 pm #

@Christopher Jacobs,

If you click the icon with the clipboard and checkmark then uncheck “7 days per turn” that should fix it.

8. Owen June 5, 2017 at 11:49 pm #

For some reason, you cannot do popular vote in the primaries, only in the general. Is this just me, and I can’t find it, or is this a bug?

9. anthony_270admin June 6, 2017 at 11:32 am #

@Owen,

Direct pop. vote is only for the general election.

10. anthony_270admin June 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm #

@Christopher Jacobs,

7 days per turn is an option that can be turned on or off on the Options menu. Can you say more about what you are referring to?

11. Jack June 6, 2017 at 12:32 pm #

When will we see the return of election night state projections as each state is called? All the best.

12. anthony_270admin June 6, 2017 at 12:36 pm #

@Jack,

It’s on the to-do list, but I don’t have an ETA at this point.

13. SirLagsalott June 6, 2017 at 1:11 pm #

Popular vote is still broken in primaries that use turnouts. States that normally have low numbers (Democratic caucus in Wyoming, for example) will one day decide there are only 2 or 3 voters in the state, and just give the winner 1 delegate. It doesn’t seem to affect the results but it makes polling a pain. Also the nationwide popular vote for primaries with turnout doesn’t work properly, the number is a fraction of what it should be when all turnouts are combined. For example, the game tells me that the total number of voters in the 2016 Democratic primaries is 398,153 voters. But when I click on California for example there are over 5 million people included in the popular vote totals. These bugs only happen in parties that have pre made turnout models.

14. Christopher Jacobs June 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm #

anthony_270admin I know that it’s an option to turn it on and off. What I’m saying is for some reason it seems like there’s a cheat/bug in the game with the 7 days per turn option. If you were to play it day by day and not use the 7 days per turn at the same level of difficulty it seems much harder.

15. Christopher Jacobs June 6, 2017 at 2:56 pm #

@anthony_270admin For example when you play day by day you can’t hold as many rallies or anything. I can hold 3 rallies in one day and have plenty of points left when I do the 7 days per turn. But if I do day by day. I couldn’t do all of that in one day.

16. anthony_270admin June 6, 2017 at 2:58 pm #

@Christopher Jacobs,

It’s certainly true the game dynamics are a bit different, because you can focus your CPs on fewer days. However, the total number of CPs per day should even out. Please let me know if this isn’t the case.

17. Michael June 6, 2017 at 8:15 pm #

For some reason, the game keeps crashing for me? I’m using a mac.

18. Christopher Jacobs June 7, 2017 at 2:58 pm #

@Michael I use MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) It never crashed for me. Maybe update your software?

19. anthony_270admin June 7, 2017 at 6:21 pm #

@Michael re game crashing on Mac,

Can you say more – does this occur in a particular spot, what operating system are you using, and if you receive an error message what does it say exactly?

20. Trevor June 8, 2017 at 1:07 am #

I know it would be a lot of work but could it be possible to have portraits for endorsers?

21. Liam June 8, 2017 at 4:04 am #

How do you set up the referendum, governor, etc, elections?

22. SirLagsalott June 8, 2017 at 6:56 am #

Was my comment seen or noticed? Every time I post the issue on the blog it’s swept under the rug by someone else’s suggestion and not fixed in the next version. Just want to make sure it’s going to be fixed because it makes some primaries unplayable.

23. anthony_270admin June 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm #

@SirLagsalott,

Yes! Feedback noted – thanks for this.

24. Donovan Weller June 8, 2017 at 10:35 pm #

Whenever I try to start a game directly, it tells me that ‘NAN’ is not a valid currency value. At no point have I ever stated nor implied this to be untrue.

25. republicaninnyc June 9, 2017 at 10:15 am #

@Donovan Weller I also got this message when trying to edit the currency symbol in scenario.xml I ended up having to settle for NIS instead of the actual Shekel sign.

If it’s a U.S scenario go on scenario.xml and change the currency symbol tag which is within the first 100 lines to $ and it should fix it.

26. Donovan Weller June 9, 2017 at 2:59 pm #

@republicaninnyc The currency tag is already “$”

27. republicaninnyc June 9, 2017 at 3:43 pm #

@Donovan Weller which campaign is this happening with?

28. Donovan Weller June 10, 2017 at 1:21 pm #

@republicaninnyc All of them.

29. republicaninnyc June 11, 2017 at 10:07 am #

@Donovan Weller try re-installing th egame I had a similar issue during the PMI – UK sneak peeks and re-installing seemed to fix it.

30. victorraiders June 11, 2017 at 2:55 pm #

have scenarios with error in 3rd party activated ‘NAN’ is not a valid currency value in scenario.xml that the currency symbol tag says $

31. anthony_270admin June 12, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

@Trevor,

It would be possible to have optional portraits for endorsers – interesting idea, we’ll see.

32. anthony_270admin June 12, 2017 at 3:47 pm #

@Donavan,

Please tell me if RepInNYC’s suggestion works. ‘NAN’ just stands for ‘not a number’, and suggests a conversion bug somewhere.

33. Liam June 12, 2017 at 8:56 pm #

@anthony_270admin
    How do you set up the referendum, governor, etc, elections?

34. Donovan Weller June 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm #

@anthony_270admin Their suggestion did not work as currency symbol tag is already a dollar sign.

35. republicaninnyc June 13, 2017 at 2:39 pm #

@Donovan Weller
    Have you tried re-installing?

36. anthony_270admin June 13, 2017 at 2:54 pm #

@Liam,

You use the editor to create a campaign with the direct pop. vote option enabled.

37. Donovan Weller June 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm #

@republicaninnyc
    Yes. And I’ve figured out that it was somehow caused by adding an observer party. Now I just need to figure out why this is happening and how I can fix it.

38. Christopher Jacobs June 14, 2017 at 11:43 pm #

Why when i try to use Obama as an endorse it says not enough political influence?

39. Trevor June 16, 2017 at 11:08 pm #

@anthony270

thanks I hope it’s possible, another idea I’d love to see is someway to make the debates interactive namely because debates now are just wait and see things, I would like to see debates play out like a minigames as the candidates talk it our the play has a set of phrases and possibilities to retort to accusations. I mean that’s just one Idea and I would love to see if it can be done

40. anthony_270admin June 19, 2017 at 2:27 pm #

@Christopher Jacobs,

It probably means you are out of PIPs.

41. Christopher Jacobs June 20, 2017 at 9:52 pm #

Wow didn’t know you had to have those to have him work as a endorser. But when is congress 2018 election coming?

42. republicaninnyc June 21, 2017 at 6:45 am #

@Christopher Jacobs a senate 2018 campaign si available at campaigns.270soft.com

43. Daons June 23, 2017 at 3:24 pm #

Hi, I was thinking of a few features that would be nice;

1. To have a map option to see where we have ballot access in primaries/GE so we can avoid scrolling through each each state/region on the strategy screen.

2. Could events affect multiple issues, for example a terrorist attack event might have an impact on ‘War on Terror’, ‘Defense Spending’ and ‘Leadership’ and not just one.

3. Nation/statewide Popular vote primaries which are used in a lot of Governor’s races as well as a run-off for the top two candidates. The nationwide option could allow a live primary election night.

Thanks

44. victorraiders June 25, 2017 at 2:32 pm #

have chance to one day create online mode?

45. lbird33 June 25, 2017 at 4:06 pm #

I think there should be a posssibility to create multiple ads at once, not only one. It would save the time on clicking.

46. Christopher7 June 27, 2017 at 4:07 pm #

Will France 2017 still be released and when? Looking forward to it.

47. anthony_270admin June 27, 2017 at 4:24 pm #

@Christopher7,

Yes, after PMI – U.K.’s 2017 update is finished up.

48. anthony_270admin June 27, 2017 at 5:16 pm #

@VictorRaiders,

If an online features happens, it won’t be for awhile.

49. Andres July 3, 2017 at 10:37 am #

I have a question for Anthony regarding President Infinity and the undecideds. I’ve been witnessing a particular scenario when I play a candidate who has 1%(or very little support) and is very difficult to gain support turn-by-turn, even thought the others may have a huge negative momentum.

I will give an example how things develop for me in President Infinity:

(I am candidate A)

Example:
    10 days to election day
    Candidate A: 1%
    Candidate B: 45%
    Candidate C: 45%
    Undecideds: 9%

9 days to election day
    Candidate A: 1,4% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 42,1% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 43,4% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 13,1%

8 days to election day
    Candidate A: 1,9% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 40,7% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 41,2% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 16,2%

7 days to election day
    Candidate A: 2,5% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 39% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 39,2% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 19,3%

6 days to election day
    Candidate A: 2,9% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 37,9% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 37,4% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 21,8%

5 days to election day
    Candidate A: 2,5% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 36,1% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 35,6% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 25,8%

4 days to election day
    Candidate A: 2,9% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 34,7% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 34% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 28,4%

3 days to election day
    Candidate A: 3,4% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 33,1% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 32,9% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 30,4%

2 days to election day
    Candidate A: 4% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 31,4% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 31,7% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 32,9%

1 day to election day
    Candidate A: 4,7% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 29,7% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 30,2% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 35,4%

0 day to election day
    Candidate A: 5,6% (+45 momentum)
    Candidate B: 28,5% (-30 momentum)
    Candidate C: 29,1% (-30 momentum)
    Undecideds: 36,8%

Election Results:

Candidate A: 45%
    Candidate B: 27,1%
    Candidate C: 27,9%

The point I want to make is, why the undecideds don’t brake my way sooner if 1) I’m the only with momentum; 2) My momentum is huge; 3) The other candidates have negative momentum.

50. anthony_270admin July 7, 2017 at 5:46 pm #

@Andres,

The idea is that election day is when many people make up their minds.

51. anthony_270admin July 7, 2017 at 7:00 pm #

@Daons,

1. This is a good idea – noted.

2. I believe you can create multiple outcomes with different issues – Editor > Events > Outcomes > New.

52. Raj July 9, 2017 at 10:46 pm #

Any update on favorability/voting blocs? I know that this has been discussed for the past year and half and I was wondering if any progress has been made on that front.

53. NYrepublican July 10, 2017 at 12:06 am #

@Raj it’s coming after this batch of updates,

54. anthony_270admin July 12, 2017 at 3:28 pm #

@Raj,

Favorability is the next major feature on the to-do list. It was delayed due to the snap U.K. election.

55. NYrepublican July 12, 2017 at 3:36 pm #

@anthony_270admin
    and the French election and CI update.

56. anthony_270admin July 12, 2017 at 4:51 pm #

@NYRep,

Yes, those are in the timeline first.

57. RO July 14, 2017 at 2:04 pm #

It has been a while since I played this game, although many of the same issues I had last still persist. The AI seems to campaign minimally. It isnt hard to beat the computer, even on the hardest level. I have on the hardest level won my primaries without my opponents winning a single delegate. In the general election I get notifications that my opponent isnt on the campaign trail and they do not appear to raise funds, or spend them if they have. In one primary Bush lost with 40 million in the bank compared to the winner, Trump, who had 300k and wasnt campaigning.

Am I playing the game wrong? Why is the AI not playing to win?

58. anthony_270admin July 14, 2017 at 3:31 pm #

@RO,

What version number (right side of Start Screen)?

59. RO July 14, 2017 at 5:14 pm #

@anthony_270admin I’m playing the latest version 2.5.8

60. Rophil July 17, 2017 at 1:01 am #

@Anthony

May I ask you to add Donald Trump to the 2012 Republican candidates? It would be so funny to imagine him running against Obama. Can’t wait for a Trump-Romney duel in the primaries!

61. NYrepublican July 17, 2017 at 11:14 am #

@Rophil he was never a serious candidate and as such likely won’t be added. All scenarios are open to modding though

62. anthony_270admin July 17, 2017 at 11:36 am #

@Rophil,

Might add him – noted.

63. Rophil July 17, 2017 at 4:35 pm #

@NYrepublican

It was possible to play with Trump in the 2012 scenerio from President forever 2008. I don’t see why he could not be added in President infinity

However, this man become President of the US. I think he should definitely be considered as a serious candidate in 2012. Nobody knows what were his exact intentions in 2011

64. anthony_270admin July 18, 2017 at 3:22 pm #

@RO,

Thanks for this feedback – it’s noted.

65. jesse July 20, 2017 at 5:25 pm #

Would a search bar for the endorsers tab be possible?

66. anthony_270admin July 21, 2017 at 4:01 pm #

@Jesse,

Yes – we’ll see when it’s implemented.

67. RO July 22, 2017 at 8:42 am #

@anthony_270admin I should add I played the game the entire way through after my last comment. Trump vs Hillary (me) on hard, Trump lost having not campaigned, or done any ads (from what I saw) with $150 million in the bank. I won with 500+ electoral votes., I won Texas without having campaigned there.

68. anthony_270admin July 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm #

@RO,

Ok, I’ve noted this, and will look for it while testing for the next PI release.

69. Eric July 25, 2017 at 2:48 pm #

When choosing which regions to run an ad in, I clicked the “select all” button. It selected all of them, including the ones where the ad had already maxed out.

70. anthony_270admin July 25, 2017 at 11:12 pm #

@Eric,

Did it actually run in any of those regions after you selected all?

71. Eric July 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm #

I don’t know. What I do know is, when I clicked out of the “select regions” screen, the ad status bar said it was running in all regions and would cost accordingly. I decided against finding out.
    By the way, this was actually in CI, not PI.

72. anthony_270admin July 28, 2017 at 3:31 pm #

Ok, this might actually be fixed in the latest game engine, which will be included in the next CI release. I’ve noted it.

73. Matt Regan August 4, 2017 at 6:59 am #

Is it too soon to talk 2020. I am sorry but it is just so irresistible. I am guessing 2018 will be a priority (which will be fun too) but I just thought I would ask if there is a timeline to for these two scenarios.

74. John Doe August 8, 2017 at 7:30 pm #

@Anthony_270admin

I recently replaced my computer and downloaded the latest version of PI.

I’m getting a strange bug where three candidates all poll at 33% and the delegate bar doesn’t display properly in a few states. Screenshot dump here:

The states in question change (a week ago, one of them was Oregon) but the issue keeps cropping up. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this/reported the issue, but thought I’d flag it.

75. anthony_270admin August 9, 2017 at 5:50 pm #

@Matt,

2018 for Congress is up after the PMI and PI updates. 2020 won’t be until 2018 at earliest, I am guessing.

76. William Netles August 27, 2017 at 11:10 pm #

Great Game

77. anthony_270admin August 28, 2017 at 6:39 pm #

@William,

Thanks for the feedback!

78. anthony_270admin August 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm #

@John Doe,

I’ll keep an eye out for that sort of bug when testing for the next PI update.