Here is a working list of events to be added to the United States – 2020 campaign.
This is a starting point – feedback welcome on events to add, events that shouldn’t be there, or what the effects of an event should be.
The events listed go back to June 10th, 2019 which is currently the earliest starting date available in the official 2020 campaign.
Effects can be for one or more issue positions, leaders, vice-leaders, or parties. They can effect momentum (+ or -) and finances. They can also raise the profile of an issue or move the issue center.
- 10 (earliest start date)
- 12 – Florida bans sanctuary cities, becomes 12th state to do so
- 20 – Iran shoots down American drone over Strait of Hormuz
- 25 – San Francisco first city to ban e-cigarettes
- 27 – Supreme Court rules 5-4 redistricting issues must be left to the state and Congress rather than to the courts
- 30 – Pres. Trump becomes first sitting president to set foot in North Korea in visit with Kim Jong Un
- 1 – Protesters storm Hong Kong legislature in response to China’s anti-extradition bill
- 4 – Independence Day!
- 6 – Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, with connections to both Bill Clinton and Donald Trump, arrested for sex trafficking
- 11 – Dow Jones exceeds 27,000 points for first time in history
- 12 – Sec. of Labor Acosta resigns amid controversy over former prosecution of Jeffrey Epstein in 2007
- 16 – House votes 240-187 to condemn Pres. Trump’s remarks directed at four Congresswomen
- 17 – Mexican drug lord El Chapo sentenced to life in prison
- 19 – Pres. Trump disavows ‘Send her back’ chants at his North Carolina rally
- 24 – Boris Johnson becomes the new British PM
- 24 – Robert Mueller warns of threat to election security at a press conference
- 25 – A.G. Barr reinstates federal death penalty
- 25 – Sen. McConnell blocks bill designed to improve election security
- 28 – Mass shooting in Gilroy, CA kills 4 and wounds 12
- 2- Trump withdraws US from Cold War-era INF Treaty with Russia
- 3 – 22 people killed in mass shooting in El Paso, TX, 24 others wounded
- 4 – 10 people killed and 27 injured in another mass shooting in Dayton, OH
- 8 – Historically large immigration raid results in 680 arrests in Mississippi
- 10 – Jeffrey Epstein kills himself in Manhattan jail while awaiting trial for sex trafficking
- 14 – Dow Jones plunges over 500 points
- 15 – Israel denies entry to two Congresswomen Omar, Tlaib after they support boycotts of Israel
- 16 – Denmark P.M. rejects Trump’s suggestion of sale of Greenland to U.S.
- 22 – CNN reports that two dozen people have been arrested in one weekend for threatening mass shootings
- 31 – 7 people killed and 21 wounded in Midland-Odessa mass shooting
- 2 – Labor Day!
- 3 – British MPs take control of the UK government from PM Boris Johnson in an attempt to delay Brexit
- 3 – Walmart stops selling handgun ammunition in its stores
- 4 – CNN holds 7-hour town hall on climate change
- 6 – Hurricane Dorian makes landfall in North Carolina
- 7 – Trump calls off peace talks with Taliban
- 7 – Trump criticized for inviting Taliban to Camp David on eve of 9/11 anniversary
- 10 – Pres. Trump fires John Bolton as National Security Advisor
- 14 – Two Saudi oil refineries destroyed by Houthi militants from Yemen; Pres. Trump and Sen. Graham blame Iran for aiding in the attacks; half of Saudi oil production is halted
- 14 – Justice Kavanaugh hit with new allegations of sexual misconduct
- 15 – Pres. Trump and Sen. Graham defend Kavanaugh amid calls for his impeachment
- 16 – Democratic candidates ramp up calls for Kavanaugh’s impeachment