This new feature for campaign designers will be introduced in Congress Infinity, and then rolled out with all the other games.
President Infinity v. 2.8.2 for Windows and Mac has been released!
This update includes
- Florida – 2018 – Senatorial (direct popular vote)
- updates to computer AI, including for direct popular vote
- updates the Surrogate Screen, including pictures for surrogates (where supported by a campaign, included in Florida – 2018 – Senatorial)
- adds an option in the Editor for Vice-Leaders to be optional
- fixes various bugs
- and more
(Note: for goals for the next release cycle, Autumn 2018, see here.)
If you are a President Infinity owner, you are eligible for this upgrade.
This is a comprehensive update.
You can download this release by requesting a download e-mail at the link below.
What’s new in this upgrade
- Surrogates > can add images, similar to candidates
- Surrogates > Main Screen > name under portrait > if name too long, shows just last name
- Main Screen > Activities > fixed bug where could continue using surrogate after used all Surrogate Points
- new Create Surrogate Screen
- Editor > Regions > Issues > Profiles > ‘Set All’ button visible regardless of region
- fixed bug in function to determine where loss of support would go to after platform change
- Editor > Regions > Map > can right click to set abbreviation coordinates
- Editor > Regions > if edit id, checks if unique, if not, adds unique identifier (ex. “_2”)
- Editor > Regions > Map > fixed tab ordering
- Editor > Regions > if change region abbreviation and then go to map, abbreviation updated
- Editor > Leaders > if edit id, check if unique, if not, adds unique identifier (ex. “_2”)
- Editor > Regions > Map > can show all abbreviations
- Editor > Issues > if edit id, checks if unique, if not, adds unique identifier (ex. “_2”)
- Select Leader Screen > if only 1 leader, Change Leader button disabled
- Editor > can set credits, button appears on Select Campaign Screen if set
- Editor > Basics > More > can set Elected Leader Position (ex. “Prime Minister”), Institution (ex. “Parliament”), Appointed by (ex. “Governor General”)
- added Florida – 2018 – Senatorial campaign
- Editor > can set whether vice-leaders enabled
- 2016 > Trump > Strategic 2 -> 3 primaries, 4 -> 5 general election
- Strategy Screen > Primaries > fixed bug where player other than turn player’s selected by default
- Editor > Regions > Parties > if editing %s but have Editor > Polling > Use Polls on, text indicates using polling
- primaries > fixed bug where computer players wouldn’t withdraw or endorse other computer players
- Players Info Screen > fixed bug if starting in primaries and get to only 1 leader left in party
- Offers > fixed bug where didn’t get bonus to chance accept when offered VP slot
- Offers > fixed some bugs with making offers that didn’t make sense (ex. offer to withdraw and offer them a VP slot)
- Offers > improved computer players chance accept for some offers
- Editor > Regions > Issues > added ‘Set All Issues’ button, to set all issues for a region to specified center
- Florida 2018 Senatorial > Surrogates > added Tom Perez’s image
- Florida 2018 Senatorial > Nelson > Charisma > 3 -> 2
- Editor > Basics > Constants and Coefficients > added Fundraising coefficient
- Florida 2018 Senatorial > Funds > Nelson $15 M -> $30 M, Scott $10 M -> $25 M
- fixed bug with starting funds in certain situations
- computer players now make more ads
- Direct pop. vote > improved computer player strategy
- Sim > Direct pop. vote > fixed bug where %s and wins (and vote count) weren’t in sync
- fixed bug if saved, then loaded, then tried to save again
This is a preview intended for feedback, in particular any features you think should be top priority. We are currently finishing up the Summer 2018 cycle of releases, with a new President Infinity and Congress Infinity to be released in a few weeks – this will be the next cycle after that.
All dates are estimates. All features are goals, not promises. List subject to revision.
President Infinity – September 15th
- Favorability (each voter has a numeric value rating each candidate, important for modeling > 2 candidate election dynamics or systems where candidates withdraw, such as primaries or two-round runoff systems such as France’s)
- Candidate attributes will use a 0-10 system, instead of 1-5 (allows for more distinctions between candidates)
- California Governor – 2018 official campaign added
- Map will have pop-up information when mouse-over, so don’t have to click on it to view %s
- Can modify size of windows (for displays with high resolutions)
- High DPI support (text for the game will show properly on monitors with high DPI, instead of being fuzzy from being scaled up by the operating system)
Note that United States – 2020 is planned for Winter 2018-2019 release, after the mid-terms. Networking is planned for after that, and applies for all products.
Congress Infinity – September 30th
- See President Infinity 1., 2., 4.-6.
- Updates to Senate 2018 and House 2018
Prime Minister Infinity – U.K. – October 15th
- See President Infinity 1., 2., 4.-6.
- Preferences added for Australia.
Prime Minister Infinity – Canada – October 30th (September 1st)
- Quebec 2018 official campaign added (will be released without game engine changes September 1st)
- See President Infinity 1., 2., 4.-6.
- Preferences added for Australia.
A huge amount of work has been put into updating the Infinity games (President, Congress, Prime Minister U.K. and Canada), but it isn’t sustainable without a better financial model to support that development. A better model will give a stable financial basis so we can continue to invest in the Infinity games and expand our investment beyond what we are doing now.
So, I am announcing we will be moving to a base product + subscription model. What does this mean for you?
For someone buying a game new, they get the game + 1 year of updates and customer support. After that, a person can choose to purchase a yearly subscription for $8. (If the subscription isn’t renewed, a person can renew later on but for an initial rate of $12, then $8 after that.)
The subscription covers updates and support for all the games you own, so if you own all 4, you get updates to all 4 for $8 a year.
If you already own the game, you will be grandfathered in for updates and customer support for a certain amount of time. You will be grandfathered for from 1 year if you just purchased to a minimum of 3 months for anyone who purchased more than 9 months ago.
This is effective May 27th, so anyone who purchased 9 or more months ago will have their updates and customer service period expire on August 27th, 2018. For everyone else, the date is 1 year from their original purchase date.
You can tell when your current updates + customer service will need to be renewed here (and clicking to get a redownload e-mail). You will be e-mailed before the renewal time to let you know, if you haven’t already added a subscription.
You can also add 1 year to your subscription term beforehand here so you don’t have to worry about it. (This will add 1 year after the point it is set to expire, so the new expiry date will become September 1st, 2019 if it’s set to expire September 1st, 2018).
Game development will move to an official release for each major product every 3 months or so. This is an estimate. So on a subscription, you can expect 4 official updates per year per product. The goals for upcoming releases will be stated clearly on the web-site, but these are goals and subject to revision.
Anthony Burgoyne, Lead Designer, 270soft
Q. I already own the game. Does this mean I have to purchase it again?
A. No. If you are an owner, you only have to purchase a subscription ($8 per year) to continue receiving updates and customer service after your current term expires (August 27th, 2018 or later, depending on when you originally purchased).
Q. Will I be able to keep playing the game if I don’t get or renew a subscription?
A. Yes. You can keep playing the latest version available before your subscription expired.
Q. Can I unsubscribe?
A. Yes. At any time, if you added an auto-renewing subscription and don’t want your subscription to renew, simply contact us and we will cancel the subscription renewal for you.
Q. Are you promising 4 updates per year for each product?
A. No, but the goal is 4 updates for each of the Infinity games per year, roughly once every 3 months.
Q. I thought I would get updates until the end of the products’ life-times when I originally purchased. Isn’t this unfair?
A. The option here is between switching to a subscription model for the Infinity games, or to stop updating the games. Since the intent of subscriptions is to allow 270soft to significantly change the games, this new policy effectively starts new products that are more sustainable.
Q. Are you on Patreon?
A. No. Adding extra features for something like Patreon means more time spent not making the games better. If you want to support us more, the best way to do that is to give feedback, help with creating campaigns, and let other people know about the games!
Q. Will this change be able to cover improvements desired by the community, such as full-screen support and possibly mobile apps on iOS and Android down the road?
A. Yes, that’s a big part of doing this – to be able to continue updating the games. Full-screen support is something that might happen – mobile phones is more problematic, as it would probably require a complete redo of the user interface, but iOS and Android tablets are possible.
This tutorial talks about how to create party images.
Some Mac users were getting an error with the Congress Infinity and President Infinity install (DMG) files.
I have replaced those files with compressed (zipped) files, which are actually easier to use.
You can request a redownload from here
If anyone with a Mac has any further problems with the install files, please let me know.
Here you can see the new Surrogates Screen in Select mode, in the latest internal version (not released yet) of Congress Infinity.
This shows the new Surrogates images feature (optional, so campaign designers can add them if they like), where each surrogate can have both a large and small image, similar to leaders and vice-leaders.
This is a minor update. It fixes several bugs, adds select region by search to the Research Screen, sets regions not on the ballot to gray on the Strategy Screen, and modifies regions starting on ballot for Libertarians and Greens in 2016.
You can download it by clicking the button below for Windows.
Note: Requires you already have the game installed.
New since previous release
- fixed McMullin bug > try to start 2016 in primaries with Evan McMullin on > user in region that uses ‘,’s for decimal point > error about ‘0.01 is not a valid floating point value’
- 2016 > Libertarians > on ballot in Oklahoma, Michigan
- 2016 > Greens > on ballot in Connecticut, Montana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hamsphire, Wyoming, Kansas, Vermont
- Research Screen > can select region by search
- Strategy Screen > names of regions not on ballot are gray
- save > fixed bug with save files that were too big
- save > now only 1 save file associated with a save game, as opposed to 1 plus 1 for each candidate in the game
- fixed bug > if canceled load game where program would freeze
- fixed bug > if used too many CPs and playing 7 days per turn, would subtract from leader’s EPs each day instead of once per turn
- Strategy Screen > fixed bug when ordering by Platform Distance where results not in order
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year to everyone!
I’ll have a post up in the new year on what we accomplished in 2017, and what I’m focusing on for 2018.
Until then, thanks to everyone for their support, feedback, and campaign creation!
The Players Info screen has been modified. Here you can see the work in progress.
The biggest change is that the personal and campaign attributes are all viewable at once.
The Veep toggle button is gone, replaced with a drop-down list that allows you to select personal attributes for either the Presidential or Vice-Presidential candidate.
The player’s party image is now displayed.
Finally, the highscore information has been moved to its own tab, and looks like this.